Sunday, October 1, 2017

Learning "Gstanzln"

I'm wrapping up the fourth week of learning the Steirische. Unfortunately Tuesday this week I had gotten sick, so my progress was a bit slower this week.

But I tried to tackle G'stanzl which is popular part of traditional singing in Austria. It's basically short phrases that rhyme and are funny - typically mocking somebody. And then go back to a refrain that everybody knows, and it's like yodeling. Some people are really good and can make them up on the fly - like my dad for instance. In modern culture rapping is somewhat similar. There is even a Wikipedia entry for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gstanzl




I will try to learn a couple and sing to it next week! So stay tuned! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 8 - Tackling a new song: Schützen Polka

The last week and a half  I have been focused on practicing scales and the Grossglockner Weise.  This is what you can hear in the very beg...